Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking

George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:44:00 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2009-10-19)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking paul.biggar@gmail.com (Paul Biggar) (2009-10-20)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking igouy2@yahoo.com (Isaac Gouy) (2009-10-20)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking tc@cs.bath.ac.uk (Tom Crick) (2009-10-20)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking herron.philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) (2009-10-21)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2009-10-21)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2009-10-21)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking bear@sonic.net (Ray) (2009-11-04)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking bartc@freeuk.com (bartc) (2009-11-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:44:00 -0400
Posted-Date: 22 Oct 2009 16:47:35 EDT

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:30:08 +0100, Paul Biggar
<paul.biggar@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
><DrDiettrich1@aol.com> wrote:
>> IMO algorithms are so language independent, that they may boil down to
>> the very same machine code, regardless of the used language and compiler.
>
>This is only true if you take a very narrow view of language
>implementations. Of the "most popular" languages today, lets suppose
>C, C++, Java, PHP, C#, VB, and Javascript, ...

Indeed. The same algorithm will look very different compiled in C
than when compiled in a language that has, e.g., arbitrary precision
arithmetic, string ropes, immutable data, etc.

Heck, in most languages the algorithm will compile very differently
when implemented (equivalently) using recursion vs iteration. I've
only ever seen a Lisp compiler reduce an iterative loop and a self
recursion to the same (iterative) machine code - and then only for
very simple loops.

George