Comparisons and Benchmarking

Philip Herron <herron.philip@googlemail.com>
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 16:17:46 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Comparisons and Benchmarking herron.philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) (2009-10-14)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2009-10-19)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking SidTouati@inria.fr (Sid Touati) (2009-10-19)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2009-10-19)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking paul.biggar@gmail.com (Paul Biggar) (2009-10-20)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking igouy2@yahoo.com (Isaac Gouy) (2009-10-20)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking tc@cs.bath.ac.uk (Tom Crick) (2009-10-20)

From: Philip Herron <herron.philip@googlemail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 16:17:46 +0100
Posted-Date: 18 Oct 2009 17:02:13 EDT

Hey guys

If you've been reading other threads i replied to, i probably
mentioned I've been working on my own language. And i am not sure
whats the best way to compare my language as in benchmarking it
against other languages.

I mean what kind of algorithm's should one implement to test a
language and its features against others. To test for speed,
efficiency and memory usage throughout the runtime; I do a Mathematics
degree, and so i started working on doing some numerical analysis
algorithms like Rhomberg Integration, Taylor Series and Lagrange
Interpolation, because its' quite number crunching so hopefully that
is a decent measure in speed possibly.

But its not really enough to test features I don't think. I know its
probably not a great way of testing languages by just implementing
algorithms and comparing them to similarly implemented algorithms in
other languages because there can be very different styles of
implementation in different languages which have side effects on how
things are evaluated, but it would be nice to have a general feel to
see how its coming along.

Also I May Be Doing A Release Of My Language Soon, Though I Doubt
There Will Be Much Documentation Of The Language Itself For Sometime
As The Implementation Wont Be Language Complete But I Am Aiming To
Have All The Primitive Features Working Pretty Well, I Am Working
Re-Implementing How Conditionals Are Evaluated And Loops Are Executed
So I Want To Finish That Before I Release. And When I Do A Release Is
It Ok To Send A Small Announce Mail To Here?

Thanks guys!

- --Phil
http://redbrain.co.uk
[It's hard to imagine a meaningful way to benchmark one language
against another, since the criteria are so subjective. You can show
that one program runs faster than another, but that's comparing
implementations, not languages. But yes, you can send an announcement
here to tell people where to find it. -John]