Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking

Tom Crick <tc@cs.bath.ac.uk>
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 22:43:55 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Comparisons and Benchmarking herron.philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) (2009-10-14)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2009-10-19)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking SidTouati@inria.fr (Sid Touati) (2009-10-19)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2009-10-19)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking paul.biggar@gmail.com (Paul Biggar) (2009-10-20)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking igouy2@yahoo.com (Isaac Gouy) (2009-10-20)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking tc@cs.bath.ac.uk (Tom Crick) (2009-10-20)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking herron.philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) (2009-10-21)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2009-10-21)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2009-10-21)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking bear@sonic.net (Ray) (2009-11-04)
Re: Comparisons and Benchmarking bartc@freeuk.com (bartc) (2009-11-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Tom Crick <tc@cs.bath.ac.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 22:43:55 +0100
Posted-Date: 20 Oct 2009 21:50:16 EDT

DoDi wrote:
> Philip Herron schrieb:
>> I mean what kind of algorithm's should one implement to test a
>> language and its features against others.
>
> IMO algorithms are so language independent, that they may boil down to
> the very same machine code, regardless of the used language and compiler.

Isn't that the point of big-O/Landau notation in computational
complexity theory - to abstract away the machine/environment?

I know this only provides a worst/average case of usage of computational
resources, but anything more fine-grained for strict comparison purposes
would most probably be skewed by other factors?

Tom
[At the level of C and C++, if the various languages don't produce
programs that are all O(the same) something is seriously peculiar. I
could imagine, e.g., perl and awk might be different if you use their
built in hhash tables and your data hashes a lot better in one than in
the other, but if all your loops and such are explicit, how could the
performance be different by more than a constant factor? -John]