Re: Online compiler courses?

andy johnson <sleepdev@gmail.com>
Sun, 30 Aug 2009 13:11:02 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Online compiler courses? jkj2000@gmail.com (Steve H) (2009-08-29)
Re: Online compiler courses? sleepdev@gmail.com (andy johnson) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? lkrupp@indra.com (Louis Krupp) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? ott@mirix.org (Matthias-Christian Ott) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? jkj2000@gmail.com (Steve H) (2009-08-30)
Re: Online compiler courses? torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2009-08-31)
Online compiler courses? paul.biggar@gmail.com (Paul Biggar) (2009-08-31)
Online compiler courses? inderaj@gmail.com (Inderaj Bains) (2009-08-31)

From: andy johnson <sleepdev@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 13:11:02 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 30 Aug 2009 18:47:34 EDT

Montana State has a very well designed introductory compiler course
and the entirety of the course materials are available online. Lecture
videos are not available, but I feel that the content would still be
very accessible from the internet only. The labs are all based in Java
and don't require anything more than a text editor and javac.
Everything in the labwork you will build from scratch, which is really
the only way to go for a serious compiler course; if you can't build
your own scanner or parser by the end of a compiler course then it
probably isn't worth your time.

In comparison to the open courseware available from Stanford or MIT, I
think this track is much more accessible from a student's point of
view. In regards to copyright there is no stated policy, so I would
treat the materials as read-only. If you want to reference something
in the course I would be happy to go ask on your behalf.

http://www.cs.montana.edu/courses/450/