Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery

Julian Mensch <jmensch@shaw.ca>
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 18:02:25 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Tool with Error Recovery jmensch@shaw.ca (Julian Mensch) (2009-02-12)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery m.helvensteijn@gmail.com (2009-02-14)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery vmakarov@redhat.com (Vladimir Makarov) (2009-02-17)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery jaluber@gmail.com (Johannes) (2009-02-19)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery jmensch@shaw.ca (Julian Mensch) (2009-02-21)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery llib-xoc@sbcglobal.net (Bill Cox) (2009-02-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Julian Mensch <jmensch@shaw.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 18:02:25 -0800 (PST)
Posted-Date: 22 Feb 2009 04:28:34 EST

    I want to thank everyone who replied here with information. I've
looked at all the alternatives, and am currently testing out
ANTLR. The level of support, discussion and features there is simply
amazing, for a tool of this type. It's a shame about the C++ target,
but the C one should work fine. It has several example grammars that
will substantially increase the speed of my work, so that's a definite
plus as well.

    I wasn't very clear in my original post about context objects. What
I meant is the ability to use different kinds of C++ objects as the
action attribute (YYSTYPE, IIRC). This includes objects with
constructors, which can't be put into the union many parsers use to
define YYSTYPE. I believe ANTLR does this, but I'm not sure if the C
target does. I'll need to investigate that.

    I'm going to try and make ANTLR work at this point regardless, I
think, because it has an active mailing list for support, the
aforementioned example grammars, a nice readable, flexible syntax and
more features than I've ever seen from a tool like this.

    Again, thanks to everyone who offered alternatives here.