Compiler Tool with Error Recovery

Julian Mensch <jmensch@shaw.ca>
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:14:14 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Tool with Error Recovery jmensch@shaw.ca (Julian Mensch) (2009-02-12)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery m.helvensteijn@gmail.com (2009-02-14)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery vmakarov@redhat.com (Vladimir Makarov) (2009-02-17)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery jaluber@gmail.com (Johannes) (2009-02-19)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery jmensch@shaw.ca (Julian Mensch) (2009-02-21)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery llib-xoc@sbcglobal.net (Bill Cox) (2009-02-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Julian Mensch <jmensch@shaw.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:14:14 -0800 (PST)
Posted-Date: 14 Feb 2009 05:06:19 EST

    I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction
on a compiler tool. I have an existing script language defined in
a hacked version of ACCENT, but I am beginning to feel my
needs exceed what ACCENT can provide and am thus considering
porting my grammar to a different compiler tool. A primary
difficulty here is error recovery, which ACCENT doesn't do at
all.

My requirements are:
* parse ambigious grammar like ACCENT and Elkhound, using
        either GLR, Earley or something similar.
* Generate C++ code, or C code that can be hacked into C++
          with macros, modifying the skeleton, etc. Does not need to
          generate a parser _class_; procedural code that is legal C++
          is fine.
* Good support for error recovery
* Works with the FLEX lexical analyzer
* Free or reasonably inexpensive
* Does not put license restrictions on the generated parser code
* Ideally, provides for definable context objects the way ACCENT
        does.
* Ideally, has a nice, readable source syntax like BNF for the
        sake of code maintenance, and to make porting from ACCENT
        easier
* Not too steep learning curve, since I need to get the grammar
        ported in a weekend or two if it's going to be worthwhile.
* Tested and in use tool on projects other than mine, because I
          don't want to port and be stopped by crippling parser bugs I
          don't have the skill to fix.

    I'd love to hear any suggestions for parsers that meet these
criteria -- something like Elkhound, except with error recovery,
would be great.