Re: GPU-aware compiling?

Ray Dillinger <>
26 Jun 2005 11:19:27 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GPU-aware compiling? (Tomasz Chmielewski) (2005-05-20)
Re: GPU-aware compiling? (Michael Tiomkin) (2005-05-22)
Re: GPU-aware compiling? (Oleg V.Boguslavsky) (2005-05-22)
Re: GPU-aware compiling? ( (2005-05-24)
Re: GPU-aware compiling? (Rob Dimond) (2005-05-24)
Re: GPU-aware compiling? (2005-05-24)
Re: GPU-aware compiling? (Ray Dillinger) (2005-06-26)
Re: GPU-aware compiling? (Julian Stecklina) (2005-07-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ray Dillinger <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Jun 2005 11:19:27 -0400
Posted-Date: 26 Jun 2005 11:19:27 EDT

Rob Dimond wrote:
> Modern GPU's are SIMD processors that execute the same program on
> multiple data-elements (e.g. vertices or pixels) in parallel.

I've been looking at GPU's with a hungry eye lately, because I use
Artificial Neural Networks to solve some problems. The memory access
pattern is simple and predictable and amenable to the way GPU's do it,
and the weight calculations look a lot like vertex shading, and of
course the blocks of floats are the ideal form for my data to take in

And although I haven't been able to work out the kinks and get stuff
to run directly on them, I'm convinced that the kinks are workable-out
and that the DSP's in the graphics card can speed up this kind of work
by an order of magnitude or more with adequate compiler support.