GPU-aware compiling?

Tomasz Chmielewski <>
20 May 2005 16:07:07 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GPU-aware compiling? (Tomasz Chmielewski) (2005-05-20)
Re: GPU-aware compiling? (Michael Tiomkin) (2005-05-22)
Re: GPU-aware compiling? (Oleg V.Boguslavsky) (2005-05-22)
Re: GPU-aware compiling? ( (2005-05-24)
Re: GPU-aware compiling? (Rob Dimond) (2005-05-24)
Re: GPU-aware compiling? (2005-05-24)
Re: GPU-aware compiling? (Ray Dillinger) (2005-06-26)
[1 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Tomasz Chmielewski <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 May 2005 16:07:07 -0400
Posted-Date: 20 May 2005 16:07:07 EDT

Recently I've been reading about General-Purpose Computation Using
Graphics Hardware - - and it seems that GPUs can
bring quite a good performance when compared to the CPUs.

In other words, a graphics chip on the graphics card can make really
heavy computations, and it's easier and cheaper to buy a couple of
top-performance graphisc cards than to buy a multi-CPU machine (which
are quite expensive).

Do you think - theoretically - that a compiler could help compiling
software, which would in turn use the power of the GPU to make some of
the computations?

Like now we have compiler options like "-mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3
-m3dnow" - would it be possible to optimize the code of the binary to
use the GPU with "-with-nvidia-gpu" or "-with-ati-gpu"?

I would like to hear some theoretical discussion about that.