Re: Compiler construction projects

TOUATI Sid <touati@prism.uvsq.fr>
2 Jun 2005 14:59:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler construction projects roderick.bloem@ist.tu-graz.ac.at (Roderick Bloem) (2005-06-02)
Re: Compiler construction projects touati@prism.uvsq.fr (TOUATI Sid) (2005-06-02)
Re: Compiler construction projects lfinsto1@gwdg.de (Laurence Finston) (2005-06-02)
Re: Compiler construction projects torbenm@diku.dk (2005-06-10)
Re: Compiler construction projects anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2005-06-12)
Re: Compiler construction projects ressler@usma.edu (Gene) (2005-06-19)
Re: Compiler construction projects oliver@first.in-berlin.de (Oliver Bandel) (2005-06-23)
Re: Compiler construction projects skandgoe@gwdg.de (Skandinavisches Seminar) (2005-06-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: TOUATI Sid <touati@prism.uvsq.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Jun 2005 14:59:05 -0400
Posted-Date: 02 Jun 2005 14:59:05 EDT

Hello Roderick,
I am another teacher of compilation in trhe first year of master.

The compilation project changes every year.
But usually, we ask students to work inside groups of four people to
build a C compiler to x386 codes. For more modulariry, the students must
implement two major modules :
- a front end from a C lanaguage to a three-adress C-code.
- a backend from the three-adress C-code to x386 asm code.

Decomposing the project into two parts allow to the students to have
something that work if they do not succeed in building the whole compiler.

We use a subset of C language (C without pointers, C without arrays,
etc.). Parsing a code generation are done with lex&yacc.

According to our experience, good students always succeed in building
such compiler. But "middle" students do not succeed : usually, front end
or backend work but not both.