Compiler construction projects

Roderick Bloem <>
2 Jun 2005 01:02:28 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler construction projects (Roderick Bloem) (2005-06-02)
Re: Compiler construction projects (TOUATI Sid) (2005-06-02)
Re: Compiler construction projects (Laurence Finston) (2005-06-02)
Re: Compiler construction projects (2005-06-10)
Re: Compiler construction projects (2005-06-12)
Re: Compiler construction projects (Gene) (2005-06-19)
Re: Compiler construction projects (Oliver Bandel) (2005-06-23)
[1 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Roderick Bloem <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Jun 2005 01:02:28 -0400
Posted-Date: 02 Jun 2005 01:02:28 EDT

I am teaching compiler construction for the second time this year, and I
would like to exchange experiences with others teaching the same course.

    In particular, I would be interested in the details of projects to
build a compiler: Which source and destionation languages do you use,
which implementation language for the compiler, and, especially, which

It would be great if you could post your experiences to this newsgroup.

Thusfar, we have done two projects, both inspired by Appendix A of the
Dragon Book:

A subset of Pascal to Java Byte Code, implemented in Java, using Cup and
JFlex, and Jasmin, BCEL, and Jasper for writing and debugging Java Byte

This year, we are translating a subset of Pascal to x86 assembly, again
using Java, Cup, and Flex. We'll use gcc -S and ddd for debugging.

On the tools especially, I would like to hear experiences of people
using different tools and better tools, perhaps even tools for building
attributed grammars.

I can make the assignments (and a solution) available on request.

Roderick Bloem