Re: performance-oriented languages?

beliavsky@aol.com
2 Oct 2004 16:25:33 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
performance-oriented languages? vanevery@@indiegamedesign.com (Brandon J. Van Every) (2004-10-02)
Re: performance-oriented languages? alexvn@big-foot.com (Alex Vinokur) (2004-10-02)
Re: performance-oriented languages? beliavsky@aol.com (2004-10-02)
Re: performance-oriented languages? nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2004-10-04)
Re: performance-oriented languages? barabucc@cs.unibo.it (Gioele Barabucci) (2004-10-04)
Re: performance-oriented languages? dot@dotat.at (Tony Finch) (2004-10-09)
Re: performance-oriented languages? pkk@spth.de (Philipp Klaus Krause) (2004-10-09)
Re: performance-oriented languages? wildstf@hotmail.com (Stefano Lanzavecchia) (2004-10-12)
Re: performance-oriented languages? rrr@ieee.org (2004-10-17)

From: beliavsky@aol.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Oct 2004 16:25:33 -0400
Posted-Date: 02 Oct 2004 16:25:33 EDT

"Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@@indiegamedesign.com> wrote
> Can anyone comment on what languages or compilers have 'performance'
> as the primary goal of the project? For this question I will not be
> picky about what kind of performance we're talking about. Just any
> well-defined notion of performance, beit integer, floating point,
> threads, whatever.

Fortran compilers are often designed primarily for performance. Intel
entered the Fortran 95 compiler business a few years ago, well after
other F95 compilers existed for Intel Windows and Linux platforms. I'd
guess that they did NOT do this because they expect to get significant
profits from the Fortran compiler business (relative to their hardware
business). Instead, they want a compiler that optimizes the
performance of programs on Intel hardware.

Pathscale C/C++/Fortran is marketed based on performance -- see
http://www.pathscale.com/products1.html .

Portland Group markets "PGIŽ High-Performance [C/C++/Fortran]
Compilers and Tools" at http://www.pgroup.com/

Many Fortran compiler vendors support somewhat "exotic" platforms such
as AMD 64 or Linux clusters. Performance is the main objective here.

There was a language called "High Performance Fortran". Some of its
features were merged in Fortran 95 (PURE and ELEMENTAL functions,
FORALL), but otherwise it seems to have faded.

Links to Fortran compiler vendors are at
http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Fortran/Compilers/