performance-oriented languages?

"Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@@indiegamedesign.com>
2 Oct 2004 01:19:37 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
performance-oriented languages? vanevery@@indiegamedesign.com (Brandon J. Van Every) (2004-10-02)
Re: performance-oriented languages? alexvn@big-foot.com (Alex Vinokur) (2004-10-02)
Re: performance-oriented languages? beliavsky@aol.com (2004-10-02)
Re: performance-oriented languages? nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2004-10-04)
Re: performance-oriented languages? barabucc@cs.unibo.it (Gioele Barabucci) (2004-10-04)
Re: performance-oriented languages? dot@dotat.at (Tony Finch) (2004-10-09)
Re: performance-oriented languages? pkk@spth.de (Philipp Klaus Krause) (2004-10-09)

From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@@indiegamedesign.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Oct 2004 01:19:37 -0400
Posted-Date: 02 Oct 2004 01:19:37 EDT

Can anyone comment on what languages or compilers have 'performance'
as the primary goal of the project? For this question I will not be
picky about what kind of performance we're talking about. Just any
well-defined notion of performance, beit integer, floating point,
threads, whatever.

An example might be Mlton, the whole program SML optimizing compiler.
http://www.mlton.org/ I think Intel C++ would count. VC++ wouldn't,
it's oriented towards the IDE for .NET stuff, not best possible
performance. I don't think g++ would count, as given its results in
recent years it doesn't seem to be a performance-oriented project.

I do mean 'primary' goal. Lots of language designers deal with
performance to some degree. But there's often a point where such
designers start saying 'eh, good enough' and then they don't care so
much about performance anymore. Typically they start taking the
philosophy that it's ok for people to just write libraries in C if
they really want performance. They figure, past a certain point the
language proper doesn't have to deal with it. I'm interested in
projects that want to deal with it, that see performance as their
raison d'etre.
--
Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                                                    - anonymous entrepreneur
[Well, there's always Fortran I. -John]