Re: constatnt initialization (Bill)
8 Dec 2003 00:30:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
constatnt initialization (2003-12-03)
Re: constatnt initialization (2003-12-08)
Re: constatnt initialization (Clint Olsen) (2003-12-13)
Re: constatnt initialization (Nick Roberts) (2003-12-13)
Re: constatnt initialization (Joachim Durchholz) (2003-12-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Bill)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Dec 2003 00:30:14 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Dec 2003 00:30:14 EST (Attila Csosz) wrote
> I'm working a VHDL (hardware description language)
> compiler/interpreter. The language has a complex type system (like
> Pascal).
> There are constant initialziation in format
> constant name: type := expression;
> My question: how to check that this can be assigned? I generate
> pseudo-code. The "type" can complex: like multidimensional arrays
> containing records. Can you draft me how do it?

You are not at all clear what you are trying to do. Good you have the
Dragon book, so I assume that you want to write a syntax / semantics
checker for Verilog (I use it for CPLD and FPGA design).

Why not just let the VHDL compiler to issue an error, most do. So it
is not clear what you want to do.