Re: SAS code with Lex & Yacc

Mark Kvale <>
9 Sep 2003 23:00:01 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SAS code with Lex & Yacc (2003-09-04)
Re: SAS code with Lex & Yacc (Mark Kvale) (2003-09-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Mark Kvale <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Sep 2003 23:00:01 -0400
Posted-Date: 09 Sep 2003 23:00:01 EDT

Carl Maughan wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience of using lex and yacc to process SAS
> code? Any examples to get me started? ...
I have never tried to parse SAS using lex or yacc (nor seen a SAS
grammar), but the following is a nascent parser for SAS programs, in

As Michael Friendly (the author) says, high-fidelity conversion is
likely to either require building an emulator of the SAS macro
processor, or to have access to preprocessed output.