CFP: Workshop on Self-Healing, Adaptive and Self-MANaged Systems (SHAMAN) (NYC, 6/02)

Yanyong Zhang <yyzhang@cse.psu.edu>
19 Mar 2002 16:20:13 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
CFP: Workshop on Self-Healing, Adaptive and Self-MANaged Systems (SHAM yyzhang@cse.psu.edu (Yanyong Zhang) (2002-03-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Yanyong Zhang <yyzhang@cse.psu.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Mar 2002 16:20:13 -0500
Posted-Date: 19 Mar 2002 16:20:13 EST

      Workshop on Self-Healing, Adaptive and Self-MANaged Systems (SHAMAN)
http://www.cse.psu.edu/~yyzhang/shaman
New York City, NY, June 23, 2002
                                            to be held in conjunction with
   16th Annual ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS)

organized by

    Anand Sivasubramaniam Mark S. Squillante Yanyong Zhang
    Penn State Univ. IBM T. J. Watson Research Ctr. Penn State Univ.
    anand@cse.psu.edu mss@us.ibm.com yyzhang@cse.psu.edu

THEME:
-----

We are entering a new era in computing where we want to make it easier
for users to avail of the high computing power that is available, and
for system administrators in managing the computing resources. There is
a critical need to be able to deliver systems that can automatically
detect performance bottlenecks, and dynamically adapt the execution
to fix themselves. At the same time, fault-tolerance is also an
important criterion, wherein the system automatically needs to identify
any faults and self-regulate its execution so that users and system
administrators need not be concerned with such details. A recent IBM
announcement also reiterates the importance of building such systems,
which they refer to as "autonomic computing".

This workshop is intended to bring together researchers and industrial
affiliates to begin exploring this new and challenging inter-disciplinary
topic at all levels of the system architecture within the context of high
performance computer systems.

In addition to paper presentations by researchers in this area, we are
also intending to bring in industrial speakers to give their perspective
on important research topics, and organizing a panel discussion on where
future research is really needed.

TOPICS OF INTEREST:
------------------

Topics of interest include, and are not limited to:

- frameworks (theoretical/simulation) for analyzing adaptive/self-healing
    systems
- criteria for dynamic adaptation (performance, availability, power, etc)
- software and hardware capabilities for dynamic detection of performance and
    fault problems
- Uniprocessor, Shared memory and Cluster architecture designs for self-healing
    capabilities in the underlying hardware and system software
- Application-level adaptation and exploitation of underlying system
    self-healing capabilities
- Tools (simulators, analytical models, middleware, compilers, debuggers, system
    management facilities, etc.) for further research and development on this topic
- Commercial and mission critical applications that can benefit significantly
    from these technologies

Results of both theoretical and practical significance will be considered, and as will interesting topics in their infancy.

PROCEEDINGS:
-----------

    Informal proceedings will be handed out at the workshop. We are planning
    to publish formal proceedings as one issue "Lecture Notes in
    Computer Science" (LNCS) series.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
-----------------

    Evelyn Duesterwald HP Labs
    Hubertus Franke IBM Research
    Kimberly Keeton HP Labs
    Shubu Mukherjee Intel
    Thu D. Nguyen Rutgers
    Jason Nieh Columbia
    Kyung D. Ryu Arizona State
    Kevin Skadron Virginia
    Amin Vahdat Duke
    Xiaodong Zhang NSF/William

DATES:
-----

    Final Version of Papers Due: June 10, 2002
    Notification: June 1, 2002
    Papers Due: May 1, 2002