front-end search

Pietro <>
24 Jan 2002 14:55:04 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
front-end search (Pietro) (2002-01-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Pietro <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Jan 2002 14:55:04 -0500
Posted-Date: 24 Jan 2002 14:55:04 EST

Hi everybody,
I'm trying to write a program to reverse engeeniering OO language sources
and generate UML diagrams. I've almost finished the back-end (that generates
dia uml diagrams) but I've few dubts about how to build the front-end that
is the most important part of the program. I want to extract structural
informations (class structure, associations...) from the AST, and saving
informations about the code itself to be able to reflect the changes back.

I'm basically looking for a set of parser front-ends for different languages
(right now I'm interested in pyhton and c++) that share that same AST.
So far I've found only cppp ( that is a
c++ front-end. Of course I don't want to re-write an ad-hoc parser for every
language, but using the existing ones.

Does anybody have any suggestions ?
Is there any 'standard' AST api (such as dom for xml) ?
Does nobody know any (GPL) python/c++ front-end that I can use ?
Do you think it is the right way to proceed ?

pgp key: 1024D/8A091922 2000-10-18
Pietro Abate <>
Key fingerprint = 5111 D91B 5E0C 5CE6 FDA3 5EF4 6120 E18E 8A09 1922
public key avalaible via public key server at