Grammar Translator (for translators) ?

"D De Villiers" <>
24 Jan 2002 14:52:15 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Grammar Translator (for translators) ? (D De Villiers) (2002-01-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "D De Villiers" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Jan 2002 14:52:15 -0500
Posted-Date: 24 Jan 2002 14:52:15 EST

Hello Everybody,

I'm working on a PL/I for Palm project (see signature below!) My goal is to
convert the PL/I code to C++/PRC-Tools (then compile to a final PalmOS

Mr Gary Gorsline sent me the following message:

Have you checked out other possible roads (non-XML). It seems to me
that back in my younger days, we had defined a grammar translator
(based on Chomski's grammars), that did easily allow a high level
language to be defined in a grammar definition (like you see for SQL
grammars, as an example). This system also allowed for the target
grammar to be defined. The target was usually as something like a
Pascal pseudo code definition.

I can't remember the name of the system - it did go commercial on
mainframes, but I hate to see you run down a road without checking out
some of the other possibilities. I'm not saying that the XML route is
bad, just be smart about this, it is a "hobby" and you really aren't
spending any money, so why not be sure you are doing this the best or
right way.

Does any such special grammar translator exist ? (for Java ?) That would
make it easy for me to write a compiler (translator).

Any help very much appreciated.

Lennie De Villiers

ICQ# 57008830

Moderator: news:comp.sources.delphi

PocketStudio Professional

Write PalmOS Applications With Your Delphi Skills!

PL/I for Palm Project:

Discussion Forum: