Re: COBOL Parsers

"John H. Lindsay" <>
17 Apr 2000 11:20:29 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
COBOL Parsers (Mark Rickan) (2000-04-15)
Re: COBOL Parsers (Ken Foskey) (2000-04-16)
Re: COBOL Parsers (Vadim Maslov) (2000-04-16)
Re: COBOL Parsers (John H. Lindsay) (2000-04-17)
Re: COBOL Parsers (Tim Josling) (2000-04-20)
Re: COBOL Parsers (2000-04-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "John H. Lindsay" <>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol,comp.compilers
Date: 17 Apr 2000 11:20:29 -0400

Hi folks:

This isn't really a compiler problem, but a simple text-processing
one. Do have a look at the language SNOBOL 4, especially with any of
the Spitbol compilers. See . Don't laugh if
you thought SNOBOL4 died; it's alive and well and doing the same sort
of amazing things (string processing, pattern recognition, data
structures ...) as always, especially one-off and special purpose jobs
like this one, although some amazing things have been done with it
like a compiler for a PL/I-like system language in ~700 lines!
There's a mailing list available via the above web site if you need

Mark Rickan wrote:
> Does anyone have any insights/experience on options for parsing COBOL?
> I am working on a project where we will need to extract data file
> declarations and access these files using other applications using
> multiplatform C/C++.
John H. Lindsay >> Note new e-mail address >>
48 Fairway Hill Crescent, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, K7M 2B4.
Phone: (613) 546-6988 Fax: (613) 542-6987
[It really is a compiler problem, but I agree that you can do some
amazing text and pattern things in Snobol4. It's stood up remarkably
well for a language designed thirty years ago (I used it in high
school in 1970). Also look at Icon, the more supple follow-on
language designed by the same guys. -John]