Re: Graph drawing CFGs

Tim Harris <>
14 Apr 2000 01:01:17 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Graph drawing CFGs (Sean McDirmid) (2000-04-11)
Re: Graph drawing CFGs (2000-04-14)
Re: Graph drawing CFGs (Tim Harris) (2000-04-14)
Re: Graph drawing CFGs (2000-04-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Tim Harris <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Apr 2000 01:01:17 -0400

In article 00-04-077,
Sean McDirmid <> wrote:
>I'm looking for the best flexible graph drawing library out their for
>drawing control flow graphs to help debug and visualize the optimizations
>done in my compiler. I would prefer that the graph software is written and
>customized in Java and somewhat redistributable.

I have used VCG for a number of compiler projects. It is described at

Graphs are defined in a straightforward text-based input format. The
tool can be used interactively or can output generated graphs as ".eps"
files (if you use this in earnest then see the patch on which generally improves the size and
rendering time of the PostScript).

My experience has been that it is good at laying out control flow graphs
but not very good with more general structures. However, the input file
can provide various hints to the layout algorithm.

It is not a Java tool.