Resources on Compilers & Dynamic Libraries

"John B. Evans" <john.b.evans@worldnet.att.net>
4 Dec 1999 22:36:46 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Resources on Compilers & Dynamic Libraries john.b.evans@worldnet.att.net (John B. Evans) (1999-12-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "John B. Evans" <john.b.evans@worldnet.att.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Dec 1999 22:36:46 -0500

Can anyone point me to some resources on the web or recommend some
books that discuss how C and C++ compilers, linkers, static libraries,
and dynamic libraries work together on Unix systems? I'm working with
both Solaris and IRIX. I'm especially interested in learning how
dynamically-loaded libraries work with global/static symbols, what
happens with references to symbols when libraries are closed and
reloaded, what happens when references are made to symbols in other
dynamic and static libraries, what happens when dynamically-loaded
libraries throw exceptions and they are caught inside other dynamic or
static libraries, etc.

Thanks,

Jason
[Well, there's always my new book. -John]