Re: Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help?

Nils M Holm <Sunrise!nmh@dialup.nacamar.de>
5 Nov 1999 01:35:21 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help? nop39545@mail.telepac.pt (João Paredes) (1999-11-03)
Re: Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help? adonovan@imerge.co.uk (Alan Donovan) (1999-11-05)
Re: Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help? Sunrise!nmh@dialup.nacamar.de (Nils M Holm) (1999-11-05)
Re: Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help? jandk@easynet.co.uk (Jonathan Barker) (1999-11-05)
Re: Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help? jshof@my-deja.com (1999-11-16)
Re: Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help? nop39545@mail.telepac.pt (João Paredes) (1999-12-04)
Language vs. run-time Re: [...] creating a new language [...] mihai@cs.wisc.edu (Mihai Christodorescu) (1999-12-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Nils M Holm <Sunrise!nmh@dialup.nacamar.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Nov 1999 01:35:21 -0500

> [Not to be unduly discouraging, but the first question I'd ask is "Why
> does the world need yet another programming language?" -John]

Because ...

- most existing languages simply copy the features of some
    other language(s) and (sometimes) decorate it with a
    different (and sometimes new) syntax.

- only very few language designs include really new ideas
    and even fewer languages are *based* upon new ideas.

- creating compilers improves one's compiler-writing
    practice. Compilers (even simple ones) are complex
    programs and practice (frequently) leads to higher
    quality programs.

- if people would not keep inventing languages, we would
    still consider assembly language a problem-oriented HLL.

- there always exists a better solution (language) for a
    specific class of problems.

And finally, the world's need for a new language is only one
factor. IMO, there are so many uninteresting languages, *because* they
are implemented only when they are needed. I think, it is more
important to *play* with problems and develop own ideas.

Designing a language and implementing a compiler are fascinating tasks
and I would encourage everybody who is interested in this area to make
his/her own experiments, even if it does not immediately lead to a
functioning compiler.

Bye,
nmh.

(Sorry, could not resist.)