left-right/right-left parsing

mdyoungl@hopper.math.uwaterloo.ca (Matthew Young-Lai)
3 Nov 1999 21:45:22 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
left-right/right-left parsing mdyoungl@hopper.math.uwaterloo.ca (1999-11-03)
Re: left-right/right-left parsing qjackson@wave.home.com (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1999-11-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mdyoungl@hopper.math.uwaterloo.ca (Matthew Young-Lai)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Nov 1999 21:45:22 -0500

Below is an excerpt of an article from 1993 that I found in the
archives. Does anyone have a full reference to the tech report
mentioned, or know if it is available online? Also, does anyone know
any other references on the topic of left-right/right-left parsing?

Thanks,
Matthew
---
Subject: Non-sequential compilation
From: [1]pcg@aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 23:13:39 GMT

[3]KODIS@delphi.com said:
> A great deal of compiler theory has a very stream-oriented flavor
> -- left-to-right scans, single vs. multi-pass translators, and so on.

There has even been a an alternating left-right/right-left prototype
compiler for Algol 68 by Bohm of the dutch MC, now CWI (this is described
in a MC TR). A very powerful technique: when doing the right-left phase
you know all the context *after* the current parse point.