LR-regular parsers for dummies ?

dvandeun@vub.ac.be (Dirk van Deun)
28 Oct 1999 02:01:44 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LR-regular parsers for dummies ? dvandeun@vub.ac.be (1999-10-28)
Re: LR-regular parsers for dummies ? laski@ics.uci.edu (Ziemowit Laski) (1999-10-29)
Re: LR-regular parsers for dummies ? chrisd@reservoir.com (Chris Dodd) (1999-10-29)
Re: LR-regular parsers for dummies ? dvandeun@vub.ac.be (1999-10-31)
Re: LR-regular parsers for dummies ? world!cfc@uunet.uu.net (Chris F Clark) (1999-10-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: dvandeun@vub.ac.be (Dirk van Deun)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Oct 1999 02:01:44 -0400

I have started reading a 1971 paper ``LR-regular grammars -- an
Extension of LR(k) Grammars'', not once but several times.
Essentially, I drown in it: my short-term memory for notations,
symbols and abstractions runs out long before I reach some kind
of intuitive insight.

Therefore I would very much appreciate a for-dummies version of
the general idea, or any reference to a more accessible text
on the subject -- I have sought for more information in a few
general books on compilers and on the web but except for
bibliographies containing this same article, I haven't found a
single reference to the subject. I'm starting to suspect
that either the whole idea was useless, or that nobody ever
understood the paper and the idea got forgotten :-)

Does anyone remember this concept ?

Dirk van Deun Ceterum censeo Redmond delendum
--
Currently at: dirk@igwe.vub.ac.be http://student.vub.ac.be/~dvandeun
Permanent mail forwarder: dvandeun@poboxes.com