Re: translator tools

jamz@my-deja.com
27 Oct 1999 14:07:11 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
translator tools chrisangus@my-deja.com (1999-10-19)
Re: translator tools chris.angus@acsol.freeserve.com (Chris Angus) (1999-10-21)
Re: translator tools idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira D. Baxter) (1999-10-21)
Re: translator tools jamz@my-deja.com (1999-10-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jamz@my-deja.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Oct 1999 14:07:11 -0400

> I was wondering if anybody could give me any pointers on tools
> for translating from one language to another
> The target language is Java and the aim is to be able to edit it
> by hand after translation.

The ANTLR toolkit was designed specifically with translation in mind.
I've written two serious translators with it, one from ARev R/BASIC to
Visual BASIC, the other from GCC to GCC which provides a framework for
things like Design by Contract or Safe-C.

http://www.antlr.org

The antlr user community is very helpful too. They have their own
newsgroup comp.compilers.tools.pccts (PCCTS was ANTLR's predecessor.)
The discussions on the antlr-interest mailing list are pretty lively
as well.

I've spent a bit of time working out a good way to output
human-readable and editable source, as have others in the antlr
community, and I'll be happy to help you out if you get that far.

Monty