Stack frame in GCC/G++

pradeep bollineni <pradeep@cs.iastate.edu>
1 Oct 1999 10:11:43 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Stack frame in GCC/G++ pradeep@cs.iastate.edu (pradeep bollineni) (1999-10-01)
Re: Stack frame in GCC/G++ meissner@cygnus.com (Michael Meissner) (1999-10-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: pradeep bollineni <pradeep@cs.iastate.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Oct 1999 10:11:43 -0400

Hi,
I would greatly appreciate is someone could help me with the following
question:

In code generated by gcc/g++ on linux running on intel pentium II, is
any other data stored between a stack frames (for a function) base
pointer and the return address from that function (which also stored
on the stack). Put differently, is it correct to assume that return
address from a function is stored right next to the base pointer for
the functions stack frame?

Thanks
Pradeep

Pradeep C Bollineni

Ph. No.'s - (Off.) (515) 294-1993
(Res.) (515) 292-4104

[As I recall, with a sufficiently high optimization level, leaf routines
someties don't store the base pointer. -John]