Re: keywords and identifiers..

genew@shuswap.net (Gene Wirchenko)
24 Sep 1999 22:52:21 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
keywords and identifiers.. ash_nw@my-deja.com (1999-09-11)
Re: keywords and identifiers.. wmm@fastdial.net (1999-09-16)
Re: keywords and identifiers.. world!cfc@uunet.uu.net (Chris F Clark) (1999-09-16)
Re: keywords and identifiers.. webid@asi.fr (Armel) (1999-09-16)
Re: keywords and identifiers.. jerrold.leichter@smarts.com (Jerry Leichter) (1999-09-20)
Re: keywords and identifiers.. genew@shuswap.net (1999-09-24)
Re: keywords and identifiers.. delta-t@t-online.de (Leif Leonhardy) (1999-09-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: genew@shuswap.net (Gene Wirchenko)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Sep 1999 22:52:21 -0400

Jerry Leichter <jerrold.leichter@smarts.com> wrote:

>| > Are there languages which allow a keyword to be
>| >accepted as an identifier.
>|
>| Yes, most of the old (incomprehensible) languages did that (like PL/1
>| i think but i'm not sure, i'm not very used to obsolete languages)....
>
>Ah, so modern languages like C are "comprehensible"? Perhaps you should
>spend some time looking at the submissions to the Obfuscated C contests.
>
>Everyone loves to give PL/I examples like:
>
> IF IF = THEN THEN THEN = ELSE ELSE ELSE = END END
>
>[Actually IF IF = THEN THEN = ELSE; ELSE ELSE = END; END -John]

          Well, no. PL/I does have a THEN in its THEN clause, so
                    IF IF = THEN THEN THEN = ELSE; ELSE ELSE = END; END;
Insertions: ^^^^ ^

[Oops, you're right -John]

>(which I think is valid PL/I - it's been years, but it's at least close)

          It has been years for me, too, and they're far away years, too.
They can stay that way.

>but that simply proves that you *can* write incomprehensible code in
>PL/I. So? Show me a language in which you *can't* write incomprehen-
>sible code.

          No such critter, but there are some spectacular examples at the
other extreme.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko