optimization and compilation speed

debray@CS.Arizona.EDU (Saumya K. Debray)
11 Sep 1999 09:05:09 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
optimization and compilation speed debray@CS.Arizona.EDU (1999-09-11)
Re: optimization and compilation speed andyj@mc.com (Andy Johnson) (1999-09-16)
Re: optimization and compilation speed roques@pond.sub.org (Christian von Roques) (1999-10-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: debray@CS.Arizona.EDU (Saumya K. Debray)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Sep 1999 09:05:09 -0400

I have this impression that various people have observed that some
amount of (peephole) optimization can lead to an overall reduction in
compilation time, compared to no optimization at all, despite the
additional time spent in doing the optimization, because the reduced
number of instructions reaching later phases means less time is spent
in those phases. I thought this observation was due to Wulf in his
book about the Bliss-11 compiler, but can't seem to find it there.
Any pointers to citations would be appreciated.
--
Saumya Debray
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Arizona, Tucson