parsing with user defined operators

rwg@exoterica.com (Roy Germon)
12 Aug 1999 03:03:46 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
parsing with user defined operators rwg@exoterica.com (1999-08-12)
Re: parsing with user defined operators torbenm@diku.dk (Torben Mogensen) (1999-08-13)
Re: parsing with user defined operators mfinney@lynchburg.net (1999-08-15)
Re: parsing with user defined operators Andrew.Walker@nottingham.ac.uk (Dr A. N. Walker) (1999-08-27)
Re: parsing with user defined operators rspartan@my-deja.com (rspartan) (1999-08-27)
Re: parsing with user defined operators darcy@moa.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1999-08-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rwg@exoterica.com (Roy Germon)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Aug 1999 03:03:46 -0400

Hello,

I'm looking for parsing techniques to handle expressions that include
user defined operators and overloaded operators. The precedence
levels of operators are user definable over a range of several hundred
values. The associativity is user definable as well. Any pointers to
books or articles are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Roy Germon
[It shouldn't be hard to concoct an operator precedence parser that can
do that, but I don't think it's a very good idea. User extensible syntax
was fashionable 20 years ago but now nobody bothers because it's so
phenomenally confusing. Look what a tangle you can get into with C++,
just by changing the semantics to fixed syntax. -John]