Re: Searching for books on how to write a scripting language

jimbo@radiks.net (Jim Lawless)
12 Aug 1999 02:52:45 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Searching for books on how to write a scripting language (Newbie, sorr gcs@iols.net (gary c shields) (1999-08-02)
Re: Searching for books on how to write a scripting language olefevre@my-deja.com (1999-08-07)
Re: Searching for books on how to write a scripting language jimbo@radiks.net (1999-08-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jimbo@radiks.net (Jim Lawless)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Aug 1999 02:52:45 -0400

  "gary c shields" <gcs@iols.net> wrote:
>> I am so sorry for posting this here, however after a couple of hours
>> of searching on the web, I have yet to find anything. I am searching
>> for books that deal with how to create your own scripting engine. I
>> am more or less interested in doing this as an exercise.

I don't know about books, but I've seen a number of short articles
pertaining to this subject.

In a recent issue of Visual Developer, Al Williams implemented a small
BASIC-like scripting engine in C++.

Ten years ago or so, Al Stevens tackled this topic in one of his first
set of C programming columns for Dr. Dobbs Journal. Al implemented a
C-like script interpreter called Script Interpreter ( or SI for it's
shortened name ... pronounced the same as 'C' ).

SI was used for an MS-DOS terminal program that Al was developing over
the course of several issues.

Dr. Dobbs usually has theme issues which cover this topic. I seem to
recall one with "Little Languages, Big Engines" as a cover slogan that
included David Betz's Lisp-like "Bob" programming language.

You might search some periodical CD's for this kind of info.

Jim Lawless
jimbo@radiks.net
http://www.radiks.net/jimbo