Re: Specifying time limits in source code ?

Ehud Lamm <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il>
21 Jul 1999 00:11:18 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Specifying time limits in source code ? hat@se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl (1999-07-14)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (1999-07-19)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com (Charles E. Bortle, Jr.) (1999-07-19)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? rweaver@ix.netcom.com (1999-07-19)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? kgatlin@cs.ucsd.edu (KSG) (1999-07-19)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? dtruong@irisa.fr (Dan Truong) (1999-07-20)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il (Ehud Lamm) (1999-07-20)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il (Ehud Lamm) (1999-07-21)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? gneuner@dyn.com (1999-07-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ehud Lamm <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Jul 1999 00:11:18 -0400

Our attentive moderator notes:

|[This sounds like runtime time limits, as opposed to compile time worst
|case analysis. -John]

Indeed. I forogot the original poster's suggestion, and was replying
to the claim that time limits are used in design and not in the
implementation phase.

Note that the idea that compiler will try to guesstimate runtime has
many pitfalls, since runtime will depend on execution env., and so
good results will only come from very specific tools. I doubt whether
it would make sense to put this very specific knowledge inside a
compiler. A supporting tool sound better. (Some kind of static
analyzer).

The Ada mechanism however has the advantage that it allows the
programmer to define time limits which will be ENFORCED in run-time.
This is an instance of strong run-time checking, even if not TYPE
checking, that Ada allows. It also helps you guarantee the run-time of
pieces of code, there by in a sense allowing you to enhance the
contract between software components.

Ehud Lamm mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ehudlamm <== My home on the web