Re: DWARF 2 Reader/Writer

Gary Funck <gary@intrepid.com>
20 Jul 1999 01:13:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DWARF 2 Reader/Writer yuri@chameleonsystems.com (Yuri Karlsbrun) (1999-07-19)
Re: DWARF 2 Reader/Writer gary@intrepid.com (Gary Funck) (1999-07-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Gary Funck <gary@intrepid.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Jul 1999 01:13:02 -0400

Yuri Karlsbrun wrote:
> I am looking for sources of DWARF 2 reader/writer libraries. Please
> send me links if these libraries available as shareware. I would
> also like to know if these libraries available as commercial
> products.

Yuri, gcc (2.8.1) and gdb/binutils will generate and read Dwarf2. My
understanding is that when the Dwarf2 standard was originally
developed (by a consortium), the idea was to have a standardized
library API for accessing the Dwarf2 information (circa 1996-97?).
The resource below, ftp://sgigate.sgi.com/pub/dwarf/ contains the
Dwarf2 spec, libdwarf spec., and prototype implementation of libdwarf.
Note that each vendor adds their own "quirks" and vendor-specific
features to Dwarf2.

Both SGI and GCC, for example, support extensions, or interepet the
spec. in a particular fashion that might be surprising if you base
your interpretration upon a literal reading of the specification.
These vendor-specific re-interpretations, or extensions, aren'f often
documented well, or at all.