Newbie Question......

"Wookie Monster" <chewie@gibsona.demon.co.uk>
14 Jul 1999 02:14:11 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Newbie Question...... chewie@gibsona.demon.co.uk (Wookie Monster) (1999-07-14)
Re: Newbie Question...... adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1999-07-19)
Re: Newbie Question...... dwightvdb@compaq.net (Dwight Vandenberghe) (1999-07-19)
Re: Newbie Question...... sander@haldjas.folklore.ee (Sander Vesik) (1999-10-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Wookie Monster" <chewie@gibsona.demon.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Jul 1999 02:14:11 -0400

I need to write a simple interpreter for my current project. Nothing
too tricky, no custom types, just about 4 record types, floats,
integers and so on, not even any function calls to outside functions,
since the complete code consists of one function which will perform
multiplication, additions. There won't even be any flow control (for,
next, while loops etc..)

It runs in the main application and is really more of a script to
control parts of the main application. I am just looking for some help
with regards of where to start. I know the basics of compilers with
stripping the code down to tokens, and then work form that. My main
problems are :

This is mainly a maths based thing....I need to consider problems like
brackets in code, and handling the maths issues..people have mentioned
stacked based interpreters.

Type checking, and general storage for actual interpretation.

Basically, all I am looking for is a beginners guide to some of these
issues, and I would appreciate it if someone has any web sites they can
suggest..

Regards,

Andy
[My usual advice is to compile to RPN byte codes and interpret them.
-John]