Re: Languages w/ win32 support

"Keith Breinholt" <kbreinho@foobar.bsquare.com>
1 Jul 1999 15:00:27 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Languages w/ win32 support thecrow@cyberdude.com (1999-06-29)
Re: Languages w/ win32 support zalman@netcom15.netcom.com (Zalman Stern) (1999-07-01)
Re: Languages w/ win32 support rose@netcom.com (1999-07-01)
Re: Languages w/ win32 support kbreinho@foobar.bsquare.com (Keith Breinholt) (1999-07-01)
Re: Languages w/ win32 support petdr@cs-mu.oz.au (Peter Ross) (1999-07-01)
Re: Languages w/ win32 support nr@labrador.cs.virginia.edu (Norman Ramsey) (1999-07-01)
Re: Languages w/ win32 support Friedrich.Dominicus@inka.de (Friedrich Dominicus) (1999-07-05)
Re: Languages w/ win32 support msk@post.tepkom.ru (Anton Moscal) (1999-07-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Keith Breinholt" <kbreinho@foobar.bsquare.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Jul 1999 15:00:27 -0400

You may want to check the "Catalog of Free Compilers and Interpreters"
(http://www.idiom.com/free-compilers/) or the "Language List" that gets
posted to comp.lang.misc (You can ftp a copy from
ftp://ftp.idiom.com/pub/compilers-list/)

I think there is some confusion about what is dependent on the
language and what is dependent on the compiler or runtime support of
the compiler.

All of the languages you mentioned (Java, Perl, Python & Ruby) are
either interpreted (In my mind bytecode is interpreted) or require
runtime environments or both.

The Win32 platform support is not a feature of the language itself but
of the compiler or libraries and runtime environment support supplied
with the language implementation. Any compiler which supports the
Win32 environment should also support dynamic module loading if the
langauge supports seperate source modules. (YMMV if the language
implementor hasn't gotten around to adding support yet. But the point
is that dynamic loading in general is not a function of the langauge
but of the linker or other runtime support.)

I would suggest downloading the langauge list and browsing the
descriptions for the features that you desire.

Keith