Re: tool for listing function callers

Albert Pomortsev <apm@nbsp.nsk.su>
19 Jun 1999 17:51:01 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
tool for listing function callers antoine.trux@research.nokia.com (Antoine Trux) (1999-06-06)
Re: tool for listing function callers bill@megahits.com (Bill A.) (1999-06-12)
Re: tool for listing function callers apm@nbsp.nsk.su (Albert Pomortsev) (1999-06-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Albert Pomortsev <apm@nbsp.nsk.su>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Jun 1999 17:51:01 -0400

Antoine Trux wrote:

> I would need a tool that does the following:
>
> - Input:
> 1) A C++ program "P" (e.g., a set of C++ source files that make up a valid
> C++ program).
> 2) A function, "F", in that program.
> - Output:
> The list of callers of F, callers of the callers, etc., recursively.
>
> One could build such a tool with a C++ parser, but is there something ready
> available?

Try Sun Workshop 5.0 Source Browser. It allows to inspect both
program's call graph and class hierarchy. Of course, it shows only
what can be determined at compile time. If you need to investigate
true runtime behavior, I'd recommend profiling. You'll probably need
to reformat profiling output in some way to filter needed functions
and trace the actual call graph but it should not be very difficult, I
think.

Regards,
Albert.