Just-In-Time C/C++ Compilation

Charles A Erignac <cerignac@graphics.cis.upenn.edu>
12 Jun 1999 21:30:52 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Just-In-Time C/C++ Compilation cerignac@graphics.cis.upenn.edu (Charles A Erignac) (1999-06-12)
Re: Just-In-Time C/C++ Compilation Renaud.Marlet@irisa.fr (Renaud Marlet) (1999-06-14)
Re: Just-In-Time C/C++ Compilation ben@mathtools.com (Ben Hirsh) (1999-06-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Charles A Erignac <cerignac@graphics.cis.upenn.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.misc
Date: 12 Jun 1999 21:30:52 -0400

I am currently working on a numerical simulation modeling
language. The domain of application (hydraulic system (dis)assembly)
precludes any kind of a priori compilation. The first version of the
simulator was an interpretor. I am thinking about just-in-time
compilation for the second version.

Here is my idea:
        - The simulator runs as an interpretor but uses a C or C++ compiler
to convert its arithmetic operations (linear system solving, and
integration) and support logic into a dynamic library.
        - The compilation is a background process.
        - The simulator runs as an interpreter until the compilation is
completed. At that point, the dynamic library is loaded and replaces the
interpretation phase.

Did anyone try this method? Are there any papers treating this subject?
Are there better alternatives?

I thank you in adavnce for your answers.

        Best regards,

                        Charles Erignac
[Seems like it'd be easy enough to run your local C compiler, created a
shared library, and then dlopen() it, although the overhead would be
pretty astonishing. -John]