Re: GLR Parsing Generator

bromage@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Andrew Bromage)
12 Jun 1999 21:27:59 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GLR Parsing Generator puehler@uni-koblenz.de (Thomas =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=FChler?=) (1999-06-06)
Re: GLR Parsing Generator dwight@pentasoft.com (1999-06-12)
Re: GLR Parsing Generator cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (1999-06-12)
Re: GLR Parsing Generator bromage@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1999-06-12)
Re: GLR Parsing Generator adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1999-06-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: bromage@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Andrew Bromage)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.c++
Date: 12 Jun 1999 21:27:59 -0400

G'day all.

Thomas =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=FChler?= <puehler@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

>We want to develop a C++-Parser. Because current parsing techniques do
>not fit requirements of the C++-language, we searched for new
>ones. GLR*-Parsing (Generalazied LR-Parsing) seems to us a appropriate
>technique to handle C++. But So far we haven't found any
>glr-parser-generator. Does anyone know where I can find one?

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, the
system is usually referred to as a "Tomita parser", after its
inventor:

@Book{tomita86,
    author = "Masaru Tomita",
    title = "Efficient Parsing for Natural Language --- A Fast
Algorithm for Practical Systems",
    shorttitle = "Efficient Parsing for Natural Language",
    publisher = "Kluwer",
    year = 1986,
    series = "Int.\ Series in Engineering and Computer Science",
    address = "Hingham, MA"
}

@Article{tomita87,
    author = "Masaru Tomita",
    title = "An Efficient Augmented Context-Free Parsing Algorithm",
    journal = "Computational Linguistics",
    year = 1987,
    volume = 13,
    number = "1--2",
    pages = "31--46"
}

The best places to look are resources on natural language processing.
A quick search found the following code:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/areas/nlp/parsing/tom/

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage