Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things

bromage@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Andrew Bromage)
27 May 1999 23:21:06 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1999-05-21)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things bmd@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (1999-05-21)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1999-05-22)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things gkt37@dial.pipex.com (JT) (1999-05-22)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things Daniel.Diaz@inria.fr (1999-05-22)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things bmd@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (1999-05-27)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things bromage@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1999-05-27)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things hunk@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (1999-06-02)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things nickroberts@callnetuk.com (Nick Roberts) (1999-06-06)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things guerby@acm.org (Laurent Guerby) (1999-06-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: bromage@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Andrew Bromage)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 May 1999 23:21:06 -0400

G'day all.

Nick Roberts <nickroberts@callnetuk.com> writes:

>> I'm particularly interested in the idea of using Prolog's natural
>> searching abilities to search for truly optimal code.

The moderator commented:

>[It's my impression that in too many cases the only way to find perfectly
>optimal code would be to enumerate and check an impractically large set
>of possibilities. -John]

This is true, which means you can't just throw nondeterministic
searching at a problem and hope everything happens for you. All that
the searching capabilities of logic languages really buy you in these
sorts of cases is a much more convenient way to express the problem.

A case in point is template-matching bottom-up code generation. A
compiler in an imperative language would use techniques such as
dynamic programming to control the algorithmic complexity and a
compiler in Prolog/Mercury/whatever is no different. However the job
of template matching and collating code sequences for comparison is
much more conveniently expressed in a language with good pattern
matching/ indexing capabilities and nondeterminism (with an
all-solutions facility, naturally) than in a more conventional
programming language.

Writing a template-matching code generator in an imperative language
generally requires the use of a "code generator generator", and
usually a heavily customised one at that, to generate the pattern
matching and collating code from a set of templates and rules. It's
much more convenient (and potentially more efficient) to write your
code generator in a language which does most of it for you.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage