Re: Help: Appel's "Modern compiler implementation ..." project

William D Clinger <will@ccs.neu.edu>
27 May 1999 23:20:08 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help: Appel's "Modern compiler implementation ..." project stefan@bach.informatik.uni-ulm.de (Stefan Sarstedt) (1999-05-20)
Re: Help: Appel's "Modern compiler implementation ..." project will@ccs.neu.edu (William D Clinger) (1999-05-27)
Re: Help: Appel's "Modern compiler implementation ..." project see@my.sig (Matthias Blume) (1999-06-02)
Re: Help: Appel's "Modern compiler implementation ..." project march@bilix.cs.uoregon.edu (1999-06-02)
Re: Help: Appel's "Modern compiler implementation ..." project torbenm@diku.dk (Torben Mogensen) (1999-06-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: William D Clinger <will@ccs.neu.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 May 1999 23:20:08 -0400

Stefan Sarstedt asked:
> Has anybody done an implementation of Appel's Compiler project (from
> his book "Modern compiler implementation in C/Java") for Sparc of
> Intel maschines?

In the compiler courses I taught during the winter quarter, my
students implemented a slightly simplified version of the Fun-Tiger
language, using the SPARC as the target architecture. We did not
organize the projects as Appel suggests in his textbook, because that
organization is too complex for a one-quarter compiler course.
Another simplification came from using the assembler and run-time
system (notably the generational garbage collector) provided by an
existing implementation of Scheme.

See http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/will/com1355/index.html for more
information.

Will