Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ?

XlatB <prinz@c2i.net>
9 Apr 1999 14:03:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? prinz@c2i.net (XlatB) (1999-04-09)
Re: Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? torbenm@diku.dk (Torben Mogensen) (1999-04-18)
Re: Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? whitten@netcom.com (David Whitten) (1999-04-18)
Re: Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? mallors@ips1.msfc.nasa.gov (1999-04-19)
Re: Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? bill@megahits.com (Bill A.) (1999-04-22)
Re: Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? andersh@maths.lth.se (Anders Holtsberg) (1999-05-03)
Re: Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? mikee@cetasoft.cog (1999-05-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: XlatB <prinz@c2i.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Apr 1999 14:03:02 -0400

I am working on simple compiler (currently only a "basic" to x86 asm
converter). It is based on the model by Jack W. Crenshaw. (Author of
"Let's build a compiler" or something very similar). I am having
problems to accept the inefficiency on the expression calculations.

The code output is way below acceptable. Now i was wondering, how do i
optimize this to be any better? I was thinking about a postfix
solution, but since this compiler is going to a singleparse, i have to
do this exclusivly for expressions. I havent been able to write a good
solution for this problem, as if often tend to "fixing" the postfix
routine. Could someone help me with this? And also, i have problems
on designing the string allocation system. The target mode is Windows
Protected mode. Could someone give me some clues to this, as i am
still a bit off.

I have been searching the net the last 4 days, obviously in the wrong
places.

Sten D. Sørsdal