Re: how to increase compilation performance

rweaver@ix.netcom.com (Richard Weaver)
7 Feb 1999 00:12:40 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
how to increase compilation performance genshirt@modicon.de (Thomas Gänshirt) (1999-02-05)
Re: how to increase compilation performance rweaver@ix.netcom.com (1999-02-07)
Re: how to increase compilation performance cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com (Charles E. Bortle, Jr.) (1999-02-10)
Re: how to increase compilation performance cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com (Charles.E.Bortle@dfw-ixnews9.ix.netcom.com,Jr.) (1999-02-12)
Re: how to increase compilation performance stephenb@harlequin.co.uk (Stephen J Bevan) (1999-02-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rweaver@ix.netcom.com (Richard Weaver)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Feb 1999 00:12:40 -0500

For approaches to a similar problem, look for references to
interpreters that support execution time editing of the source. The
IBM PL/I Checkout Compiler was one such; I have no recollection of what
is in the general literature.

John's answer is better, however. You might also look at why users are
constructing source programs requiring a lot of time to compile, as
opposed to using function/subroutine/procedure/module/... facilities to
organize their source code into smaller units.

And profile the complete process, when someone makes only "a little"
change it is not just the compiler that is involved. Look at all the
steps necessary to get the revised code executing.

Dick W