Re: why use flex?

Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?= <Marko.Makela@HUT.FI>
3 Feb 1999 23:56:19 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
why use flex? frankhale@worldnet.att.net (Frank Hale) (1999-01-27)
Re: why use flex? irclark@latveria.castledoom.org (1999-01-31)
Re: why use flex? rkrayhawk@aol.com (1999-01-31)
Re: why use flex? tnaran@direct.ca (1999-02-01)
Re: why use flex? colas@aye.inria.fr (1999-02-03)
Re: why use flex? Marko.Makela@HUT.FI (Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?=) (1999-02-03)
Re: why use flex? tnaran@direct.ca (1999-02-05)
Re: why use flex? Theodore.Papadopoulo@sophia.inria.fr (Theodore.Papadopoulo) (1999-02-05)
Re: why use flex? Marko.Makela@HUT.FI (Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?=) (1999-02-10)
Re: why use flex? wvenable_net@iname.com (1999-02-15)
Re: why use flex? dmitrik@my-dejanews.com (Dmitri Katchalov) (1999-02-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?= <Marko.Makela@HUT.FI>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Feb 1999 23:56:19 -0500

>>>>> "Travers" == Travers Naran <tnaran@direct.ca> writes:

Travers> The only real complaint I have is the *still* lacking direct
Travers> C++ support. If one wants that, one has to use to modified
Travers> Flex++/Bison++ utilities.

Pardon me, but what kind of C++ support would you like to expect from
Flex and Bison? I have used Flex 2.5.4 and Bison 1.25 in two compiler
projects, both of which are written in C++. I use the tools in the
traditional C mode; only the semantic actions contain C++ code.

Could someone enlighten me what kind of real advantages using
generated scanner and parser classes could have over the traditional
yyparse () / yylex () interface? Does it have something to do with
re-entrant parsers? Or does it make "sub-parser calls" easier
(i.e. when the input can contain multiple languages that cannot be
feasibly handled by one parser, like SDL (ITU-T Z.100,Z.105) with
ASN.1 definitions embedded between the ALTERNATIVE/ENDALTERNATIVE
keywords)?

Marko