Re: PCODE Interpereters 101

Dwight Hughes <dwighth@ipa.net>
23 Jan 1999 17:31:39 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
PCODE Interpereters 101 carld@td.co.nz (Carl Dawson) (1999-01-22)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 dwighth@ipa.net (Dwight Hughes) (1999-01-23)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 sda@rt66.com (1999-01-31)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 tgl@netcom.com (Tom Lane) (1999-02-03)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 sda@rt66.com (1999-02-05)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 gneuner@dyn.com (1999-02-05)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (1999-02-10)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 sam@cogent.ca (Sam Roberts) (1999-02-12)

From: Dwight Hughes <dwighth@ipa.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Jan 1999 17:31:39 -0500

This might be somewhat afield from what you're looking for, but I have
put the Implementation section from "Smalltalk-80: The Language and
Its Implementation" (the "Blue Book" to Smalltalkers) online at my
site (no figures - I'll be adding them over the next couple of days):

        http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/

This defines the original Smalltalk-80 Virtual Machine for the
original Smalltalk-80 Virtual Image - which means it's a 16bit
implementation (1981 vintage), not 32bit like "modern" Smalltalks ,
and is defined as a pure bytecode "interpreter" (most modern
commercial Smalltalks have used what later got called JIT translation,
and made a big deal of, for over 10 years).

At least this should give you another perspective.

-- Dwight