Re: p-code compilers

genew@vip.net (Gene Wirchenko)
23 Jan 1999 17:31:09 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
p-code compilers ec98bna@brunel.ac.uk (Bogomil Alexondrov) (1999-01-22)
Re: p-code compilers dwight@pentasoft.com (1999-01-23)
Re: p-code compilers genew@vip.net (1999-01-23)
Re: p-code compilers derekross@fisheracre.freeserve.co.uk (Derek Ross) (1999-01-23)
Re: p-code compilers eodell@pobox.com (1999-01-25)
Re: p-code compilers toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl (Toon Moene) (1999-01-25)
Re: p-code compilers aaron@farol.chem.purdue.edu (Aaron F. Stanton) (1999-01-27)
Re: p-code compilers wlohmann@informatik.uni-rostock.de (1999-01-27)
Re: p-code compilers rock@twr.com (Robert Howard) (1999-01-31)

From: genew@vip.net (Gene Wirchenko)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Jan 1999 17:31:09 -0500

Bogomil Alexondrov <ec98bna@brunel.ac.uk> wrote:

>Does somebody know a website focused on pseudo code compilers and
>especially possible optimizations for it. btw can a program not
>generating machine code but pseudo code be called compiler or is it a
>translator? what is the exact definition for compiler? Java is
>generating pseudo code so it must be a translator rather than
>compiler?

    1) Very simply. It fits the definition. (If I build a machine that
has as its instruction set the instruction set of a P-machine, does
that change the classification of previously written language
translators that generate that formerly P-code? I don't think so. To
me, it wouldn't be a useful distinction.)

    2) The ACM came up with definitions. I don't know where to go to
find them, but recall reading them some time ago.

    3) It's both.

>Thanks in advance for any help

          Are you sure you want to thank me?

          This could get into a religious war. There's a similar one on
alt.folklore.computers where someone is claiming that FORTH is an
assembly language. His argument does have it point, but it seems to
be stretching things a bit much for my comfort.

>Best Regards: Bogomil Alexandrov
>[I've never made a strong distinction between translators and compilers.
>I suppose if the output is supposed to be legible to people it's a
>translator, if it's just for computers it's a compiler. -John]

          I learned it as language translators include assemblers and
compilers.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
[One or two more messages on this topic and I'll end it, since the
definitions are clearly matters of religious preference. -John]