Regexp optimization?

Stefan Waldherr <stefan@waldherr.org>
2 Jan 1999 00:21:32 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Regexp optimization? stefan@waldherr.org (Stefan Waldherr) (1999-01-02)
Re: Regexp optimization? zalman@netcom.com (1999-01-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Stefan Waldherr <stefan@waldherr.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Jan 1999 00:21:32 -0500

Hi,

I have a problem with a huge file that contains (line per line) regular
expressions. Thing is, that many of the regexps may be redundant and hence
matching is pretty slow.

Is there any chance to optimize the list of regexps automatically? I would
also like to merge my regexp file with other files on the web and it would be
nice to do this automatically (read: without human intervention).

The file I'm talking about can be viewed here

http://www.waldherr.org/blocklist

and is intended to match annoying advertisements on web servers.

Any hints appreciated,
Stefan.

--
Stefan Waldherr fax +49 431 8058 136