Re: yacc parse tree

mikesw@whiterose.net (M Sweger)
13 Dec 1998 13:54:39 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
yacc parse tree josh_adams@bmc.com (Josh Adams) (1998-12-10)
Re: yacc parse tree simon.cozens@pembroke.oxford.ac.uk (Simon Cozens) (1998-12-13)
Re: yacc parse tree mikesw@whiterose.net (1998-12-13)
Re: yacc parse tree bob@werken.com (1998-12-18)
Re: yacc parse tree belinfan@cs.utwente.nl (1998-12-18)
Re: yacc parse tree josh_adams@bmc.com (Josh Adams) (1998-12-19)
Re: yacc parse tree joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de (Joachim Durchholz) (1998-12-19)
Re: yacc parse tree scinar@ug.bcc.bilkent.edu.tr (Sukru Cinar) (1998-12-21)
Re: yacc parse tree scinar@ug.bcc.bilkent.edu.tr (Sukru Cinar) (1998-12-22)

From: mikesw@whiterose.net (M Sweger)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Dec 1998 13:54:39 -0500

Josh Adams (josh_adams@bmc.com) wrote:
: I'm implementing an SQL "where" clause. To this end, I modified the
: SQL syntax checker in the O'Reilly Lex & Yacc book so that I have a
: working where clause syntax checker. I imagine that I will need to
: create some sort of parse tree consisting of nodes and leaves that
: represent ands, ors, comparators, literals, column names, etc. Any
: advice on how to do this? The book does not give an example of parse
: tree implementation.

I have the same book. Will there be a 2nd edition coming out? Perhaps
some examples on crude interpreters vs. compilers at least the AST?
What about some examples on some common solutions using LEx& Yacc in
common languages such as Fortran with its its column specific
requirements, Typeless languages etc? This would simplify the Dragon
Book since I find it hard to believe that one would implement the
algorithms in the Book verbatim. I think the examples in the Dragon
Book is sort of pseudo code to help you get the basic idea but not
implemented directly as written. Another particular area of not being
sure of how it's done is all the Basic block code optimization. I can
understand a good bit of it, but when it comes to reality of it being
done in source code it would seem that it would be an awfully slow
compiler if using the algorithms.

I'd like to see in the Lex&Yacc book the Unix "cut and paste" utility
whereby you're cutting or pasting a specific field from a data file
using the token specified on the command line. This looks like Fortran
parsing which is column specific and also wherey the token feed to Lex
is dynamic instead of being preprogrammed in the Lex file.

Another Unix command similar to this is "grep". In this case the
regular expression on the command line is passed to a program (Lex
based) and parses a data file for matches. In this case the Lex tokens
would be dynamic since they are passed to the Lex routine instead of
being programmed in.

In cases above it sure would be nice to see in an updated book.

BTW, I did look for the information on "Early Algorithms" for dynamic
grammars that was popular in the 1970's by searching dejanews in the
comp NG's but the dejanews archives don't go back that far. Could you
specify an author or reference book as a starting point into this
topic? Thanks!

And, please write a 2nd, 3rd.... edition to O'Reillys Lex&Yacc book
it was big help to get started.
--
Mike,
mikesw@whiterose.net