Re: looking for a c++ -> c++ parser

lindahl@cs.virginia.edu (Greg Lindahl)
19 Nov 1998 23:26:38 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
looking for a c++ -> c++ parser izrailev@cs.utah.edu (1998-11-15)
Re: looking for a c++ -> c++ parser lindahl@cs.virginia.edu (1998-11-19)
Re: looking for a c++ -> c++ parser emarsden@mail.dotcom.fr (Eric Marsden) (1998-11-19)
Re: looking for a c++ -> c++ parser chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (1998-11-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: lindahl@cs.virginia.edu (Greg Lindahl)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Nov 1998 23:26:38 -0500

> [Parsing C++ is so painful, particularly in programs that use #define, that
> I expect that ad-hoc partial parsing would work better than full parsing.
> -John]

#define isn't a problem -- in this instance the writer didn't seem to
want to get human-readable source back, so you can just run the thing
through cpp first. Parsing C++ _is_ painful, but the EDG parser source
is available free for non-commercial use, and I heard (a while ago)
about a project by Kathy Lindlan <klindlan@cs.uoregon.edu> to build
some stuff with the EDG parser which allows tool builders to do
interesting things to parsed C++ programs. Details are at:

http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/~klindlan/

I'm not sure if there is a tool which takes her IL and outputs C++,
but that part doesn't look hard.

-- greg