Re: Data Layout with a compiler

zalman@netcom.com (Zalman Stern)
1 Nov 1998 11:36:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Data Layout with a compiler pellinik@cse.msu.edu (K. Pellini) (1998-10-24)
Re: Data Layout with a compiler jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (1998-10-30)
Re: Data Layout with a compiler kistler@ics.uci.edu (Thomas Kistler) (1998-10-30)
Re: Data Layout with a compiler zalman@netcom.com (1998-11-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: zalman@netcom.com (Zalman Stern)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Nov 1998 11:36:56 -0500

K. Pellini (pellinik@cse.msu.edu) wrote:
: I am trying to find a way to alter the data layout of a program
: compiled by GNU gcc. Essentially, I am interested in optimizing the
: cache performance by altering the data layout somewhat within the
: compilation process.

It is "possible" as the MIPS cord (and cord2) tool did it circa
1986-1987. The tool was targeted mostly at direct mapped caches
thoguh so it may not be relevant to what you are doing. (It was also
designed for single level caches and had to know the cache size being
optimized for.) The more modern MIPS/SGI compilers may have a similar
pass that can be turned on at high optimization levels. The original
cord tool was probably written by Mark Himmelstein or Earl Killian but
I don't know. With that info you could try a literature search.

-Z-