Re: Data Layout with a compiler

Thomas Kistler <kistler@ics.uci.edu>
30 Oct 1998 13:53:28 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Data Layout with a compiler pellinik@cse.msu.edu (K. Pellini) (1998-10-24)
Re: Data Layout with a compiler jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (1998-10-30)
Re: Data Layout with a compiler kistler@ics.uci.edu (Thomas Kistler) (1998-10-30)
Re: Data Layout with a compiler zalman@netcom.com (1998-11-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Thomas Kistler <kistler@ics.uci.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Oct 1998 13:53:28 -0500

, "K. Pellini" <pellinik@cse.msu.edu> wrote:
> I am trying to find a way to alter the data layout of a program
> compiled by GNU gcc. Essentially, I am interested in optimizing the
> cache performance by altering the data layout somewhat within the
> compilation process.

I'm not quite sure whether you're looking for a way to reorganize the
compiler's intermediate representation to speed up the compilation
process or for a way to automatically reorganzie data structures that
are used in the compiled program to speed up the execution time. If
you're looking for the latter you might be interested in the following
paper:

Thomas Kistler and Michael Franz. Automated Layout of Data Members for
Type-Safe Languages. Technical Report No. 98-22, Department of
Information and Computer Science, University of California, Irvine,
September 1998.
http://caesar.ics.uci.edu/kistler/papers/ics-tr-98-22.ps

Thomas Kistler