Re: Lex and yacc debugger design

"Quinn Tyler Jackson" <qjackson@wave.home.com>
18 Oct 1998 01:19:00 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Lex and yacc debugger design pickerr6@cs.man.ac.uk (Robert Frederick Pickering) (1998-10-17)
Re: Lex and yacc debugger design qjackson@wave.home.com (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1998-10-18)
Re: Lex and yacc debugger design thetick@magelang.com (Scott Stanchfield) (1998-10-18)
Re: Lex and yacc debugger design pickerr6@cs.man.ac.uk (Robert Frederick Pickering) (1998-10-22)
Re: Lex and yacc debugger design thetick@magelang.com (Scott Stanchfield) (1998-11-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Quinn Tyler Jackson" <qjackson@wave.home.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Oct 1998 01:19:00 -0400

>[I find that the problem isn't getting the yacc or lex source to compile,
>it's figuring out why it's not lexing or parsing the language I think
>it is. Single stepping and being able to see what the state machine
>is doing helps here. -John]

I second this, and this is the primary reason I am a strong enthusiast
of Visual Parse ++, and why I intend to add single stepping in the
PAISLEI grammar class generator for LPM.

There's nothing quite as revealing as seeing a reduce when you thought
there was going to be a shift, or when you see an expression eat an
entire line when it should have eaten two bytes. Watching the parse
tree grow also keeps the larger grammars more easily manageable
conceptually.
--
Quinn Tyler Jackson

email: qjackson@wave.home.com