Re: Anyone extended MAXTABLE in yacc parsers?

Vadim Maslov <vadik@siber.com>
26 Sep 1998 01:27:38 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Anyone extended MAXTABLE in yacc parsers? chseet@mbox2.singnet.com.sg (C. H. Seet) (1998-09-22)
Re: Anyone extended MAXTABLE in yacc parsers? vmakarov@cygnus.com (Vladimir Makarov) (1998-09-22)
Re: Anyone extended MAXTABLE in yacc parsers? corbett@lupa.Eng.Sun.COM (1998-09-24)
Re: Anyone extended MAXTABLE in yacc parsers? mtew@cds.duke.edu (Max TenEyck Woodbury) (1998-09-26)
Re: Anyone extended MAXTABLE in yacc parsers? vadik@siber.com (Vadim Maslov) (1998-09-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Vadim Maslov <vadik@siber.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Sep 1998 01:27:38 -0400

C. H. Seet wrote:

> I'm using byacc 1.9 on Win32 platform, and I've been trying to generate
> a parse table with about 130000 elements (grammar is large).
> Byacc's limit (defined by MAXTABLE) is 32500. I've tried extending this
> number to 150000, but the resultant table does not work.
> I then tried a combination of the following:
> - extend MAXTABLE to 150000
> - redefine BITS_PER_WORD from 32 to 64
> - redefine SETBIT and BIT macros to cope with 64 bit "word"
> - replace "unsigned" by "unsigned __int64" (I'm using Visual C++)
> - replace short by int
> - redefine MAXSHORT from 32767 to 2147483647

We extended BtYacc (which is different from byacc) to work with more
than 32,767 elements in the table.

It requires more than just adjusting constants. Our tables go up to
80,000 elements which is more than 65,536.

You can get it at http://www.siber.com/btyacc/ for free.

It is based on Berkeley Yacc and it can do:
- backtracking
- %include and %define statement in the grammar.

Regards,
Vadim Maslov